Featured is a rather colorful cardboard advertising sign from the Kent Factory of the National Biscuit Company, advertising Portland, Maine brand of Purity Kiss biscuits. Biscuits in the early 1900’s was another name for salted crackers, similar to Saltines in today’s modern marketplace. This sign features two kids on a swing, eating the Purity Kiss…Details
This is an early tin can for pure lard from the Burdorf Family Sanitary Market in Red Bud, Illinois, 1920. The Burgdorf Market was a butcher shop located in downtown Red Bud in the early 1900’s. The can is a brilliant gold color and features a tulip in the center of the design along with the description indicating the lard was “kettle rendered”. This can has a handle and is larger than most lard cans of the era. It was possibly sold to an institutional buyer such as a restaurant of the time period which would have needed a large quantity of their product. The Burgdorf family ran their market for many years but the business closed in the 1940’s.